Title: Battle Scars: Men of the Cross
(book 1 of a series)
Revisions progress: round 4, 95%
Two weeks back, I reported I was at 73%. That was round 3. 🙂 I returned to page 1 and began round 4. Actually, I ignored page 1 and started with chapter 2. This was to be a quick run-through to do some final fact-checks and review lines I still wasn’t happy with. I’m in the middle of the 2nd to last chapter and may hit THE END again within the next couple of days. By this weekend, I plan to tackle the opening scene (again). “I’m done” should be on my lips by February 1. (Fingers crossed.) Critique/writing group partner Marie has offered to do a final round of red-lining.
Done? Ha! After this comes:
- book cover design
- blurb writing for Amazon, Barnes & Noble, my website, etc.
- prepare an author’s note to include at the end of the book & acknowledgements for the front matter
- last round of editing based on Marie’s comments
- book cover reveal! (i.e., marketing)
- insert 2 maps to accompany book
- convert Word .doc for e-book version & review the manuscript again & again
- manuscript preparation for print-on-demand version
- send out a few ARCs (advanced reader copies)
- hit the publish button
- market the book here, there, and everywhere
When all that’s done, I’ll pull out the book 2 manuscript and:
- start revisions
- flesh out the plot for book 3
- check into an insane asylum
What does 2014 look like for you?
Best of luck!
I’m doing the agent submissions thing with book one of my series… Part of me wishes I could just be moving on to the cover design and self-publishing stage, but I’ve made the decision (perhaps stupidly) to try the traditional route first.
Thanks, Matthew. The key is that you’re moving ahead and getting your work out there. You may be one of the lucky ones – and more power to you! And what’s great in this new world, is that we do have options to self-publish. We want to share our stories and hope that people enjoy them. Good luck to you, too.
I’m tired just reading that lot, Char! Good luck with it all. I can’t wait to see (and read) the book in final form.
🙂 I had to add another bullet – I forgot that I also need to include an author’s note to explain how I might have fudged on a date here or there… Getting closer.