Happy Thanksgiving! (almost)
What’s on the menu for my 4 day break?
1) Turkey and trimmings with my daughter and her husband in Kansas City.
2) I will skip the Black Friday events. I shop when I need something, not because of sales. The mad frenzy doesn’t invigorate me. And I’m not a browser. I go to the mall when I have to. All right, that’s not completely true… I do enjoy browsing specialty kitchen or gadgets stores.
3) Revising, revising, revising. Revisions for Battle Scars: Men of the Cross are around the 12% mark, though I do know I’ll be looking at the opening 200 words many times before all is said and done. My 2nd – or was it 3rd or 4th? – rewrite of the opening paragraph got a lukewarm reception at writers group. And then by chance on Sunday, I saw a tweet from @jamesscottbell pointing to his advice on an older blog post, How to Grab Them on Page One. My talented critique partners echoed his sentiments. In this rewrite and the original, I need to show “a disturbance” in Henry’s world in the opening paragraph. As Bell says, I need to make the reader worry about this main character.
And FYI… Janice Hardy will be posting her critique of my original opening soon. I’m really anxious to have her input, and I’ll link to it when it’s available on her website.
4) Pinning. I plan to add a few more of my novel locations to my Pinterest board. I recently added Grantham, Lincolnshire and Barfleur, France. Check it out!
4) Movies and TV. I can’t wait to see The Hobbit #2, but I probably won’t get to it until the Christmas break. Currently, Arrow, Revolution, Parenthood, and Once Upon a Time are in my Netflix queue and I bought Doctor Who 5oth Anniversary show from Amazon. I don’t have cable, so I don’t often see the latest episodes of anything.
If you’re celebrating, enjoy the holiday. If not, have a great weekend.
Image credit: Barfleur, France
photo by Larayevire; distributed under CC-BY-SA 3.0